Executive Board Members:
Co-presidents: Kristen Gordon and Jennifer Nadeau
Treasurer: Elizabeth Adorno
Fundraising Chair: Tisa Rabun Marshall
Secretary: Kara Richardson
Family Engagement Chair: Karen Mendes
Meetings are held the 3rd Wednesday of each month from 6:00-7:00pm @ 29 Willowbrook Road, East Hartford, CT 06118.
Child care will be provided.
September 19th, October 17th, January 16th, February 20th, March 20th, April 17th and May 15th
*Previous Meeting Minutes links at the bottom of the page
RMS Community Council Overview
The RMS Community Council (RCC) serves as a forum for families, teachers, staff and administrators to share ideas, support learning, sustain a vibrant school community and help shape the future direction of Riverside Magnet School at Goodwin College (RMS).
Members of the RCC work to:
– Build a strong bridge from home to school through families’ involvement beyond the classroom
– Foster a welcoming school community and culture
– Engage the entire school community in ongoing dialogue that advances the quality of RMS
– Support a passionate focus on the success of all students in becoming life long learners
– Create opportunities for collaboration between families, school staff, Goodwin College and the broader local community
– Advocate for RMS Reggio Emilia-inspired model and its core values
For the 2015/2016 school year the RCC will operate as one main Council. Future structure and size of student population will lend to the opportunity for sub councils with specific focuses. These may include:
- Special Events and Fundraising – Members play a key role in organizing and staffing school events. Examples include social events such as Coffee Houses, Family Outings/Play Dates (off site) and Holiday/Seasonal Events. This team would also evolve to include events with fundraising components at a time TBD.
- Recruitment and Outreach – Members play an active role in school recruitment efforts, serve as advocate/ambassadors and assist in efforts to retain students for full matriculation Pre K 3 through Grade 5. This team would also work to create positive relationships with local community organizations and surrounding towns for collaboration opportunities.
- Communications – Members assist with production of school wide directory, newsletters, marketing materials, website content and more.
- Partnership and Learning – Partner with RMSGC (Formerly GCECMS) Staff and Administrative experts to provide input and feedback on learning tools, curriculum and other techniques applicable in classroom settings. Understand assessment tools and other school metrics to provide “the voice of the parent” when and as appropriate.
- Who should join the RCC?
Any individual interested in supporting RMS with his/her time and talents to further enhance the school community.
- What’s the time commitment?
The RCC meets on a monthly basis during the school year. Meetings typically last for 1 ½ hours. On a volunteer basis members may also help to staff school wide events, Regional School Choice Office (RSCO) recruitment events or attend smaller planning meetings (as appropriate).
- What is typically covered at RCC Meetings?
RCC meetings provide an opportunity to hear directly from school Administrators on any important updates or school news. Staff /Teachers typically also share information about classroom activities or other updates pertaining to the school day or studio happenings. In addition, the meetings provide an opportunity for parents/families to ask questions, raise concerns and/or provide suggestions/ideas. Lastly, meetings may include time for working collaboratively on new ideas, event planning, etc.
Who do I contact for more information or questions?
Attend a monthly meeting or contact:
Casey Guiheen, Studio and Community Coordinator
Click links below for notes from previous meetings: